Sunday, February 12, 2012

End of Course Reflection


            I hope that the perceptions of distance learning will continue to remain accepted.  In the video featuring George Siemens, he mentions that it sort of makes the world seems smaller because we can talk to anyone at any time.  The acceptance of distance learning is becoming comfortable because we are so used to online communication.  We are less and less secluded because of online technology, according to Mr. Siemens, and I agree.
            In ten years, I can see every American student participating in at least one fully online course in addition to his or her face-to-face studies.  In 20 years, I can see most of education being delivered online.  Mr. Siemens mentions that courses will become more complex in the future and this will, most certainly, be to motivate our students that are essentially in the most technologically driven world to date.
            As an instructional designer, I feel that I am responsible for always pushing forward the boundaries of distance education.  My classmates and myself will be the new “faces” of the online world.  By building classes that are efficient, well designed, and interactive, we are maintaining and upping the bar for distance education.  We need to not be afraid to try something new and always remember that we are out for the benefit of the learner.
            I plan to be a positive force for distance learning by continuing in the field.  In my brick and mortar classroom, I always try to learn the new technologies and incorporate them into my classroom.  Recently, we received Moodle as a school district.  I immediately took the required trainings and incorporated it into my classroom.  Student complete activities, participate in forums, and put their answers in an online form.  Also, they write blog posts and put them online.  They comment on other ideas and expand their own thinking.
            I recently was admitted into the Florida Virtual School full-time pool and am anxiously awaiting a call.  My goal is to become a professor and teach teachers how to engage their students with technology or with online learning.  I will continue my education to receive my doctorate and always do research with online learning.  I feel that it is the wave of the future and see the need in this current generation for the one-to-one learning environment that online education offers.
            One last mention about the future – Florida has already started the wave of required online learning.  Starting with this 9th grade class, students are required to take one course online in order to graduate.  You can read more about it following this link: http://www.newssun.com/news/021012-ct-online.  I can’t wait to see more states take the lead and push their students to try online education!

No comments:

Post a Comment